Thursday 18 October 2012

Paul Trembling, author

Paul Trembling, author

                                    or DRAGON-MAN?  



Paul has written several books about Rimsey, dragon-slayer. They are not long books, but each of them most entertaining.  I read the first several months ago.

This is my review:  The Ways of Dragons:
A short but very entertaining read. And I did enjoy the quote from the first story, when the supposed-to-be virgin sacrifice to the dragon tells her parents that she'd thought of losing her virginity so that she would no longer qualify. 'Better up the duff than down the gullet.' But anyway, as we soon learn, the dragon doesn't care whether the human is virgin, young or even female. Rimsey is a great heroine, with a dose of common sense as well as a big dose of courage. Three enjoyable tales for a tiny price.

More recently, I reviewed the next two in the series: 

Things I particularly liked about the story of Rimsey, her battles and her victories:
*I like that she is a girl, scorned by her peers, and yet she is intelligent, courageous and above all, triumphant.
*I love the breathless speed of the fight scenes, and I like that she wins each battle. (Well, the story would have to end if she lost)
*I liked what she said once - that in her profession, there was no such thing as a partial win. It was either a win or no more dragon slayer.
*I liked the pragmatism with which she treats a needed death - when told that her enemy would not forgive her, she says: "I know he won't. But neither will he learn from it. You should have let me kill him. I'll have to eventually. Pass your plate, supper's ready."
*I like the fact that when the nun tried to lay a guilt trip on her for killing the man, she disregards it - She looked down at Berenice. "But for me, hate isn't a burden. It's a tool of the trade." She flicked the reins and drove out, without looking back.

Things I didn't like? Well, nothing really. Purchasers should be aware that these stories are only short, 12,000 words for Dragon 2 and around 15,000 words for Dragon 3.
And I suppose they're really meant for children. That didn't stop this mature adult thoroughly enjoying them.
Happily 5 stars for Rimsey, her stories and her author.

 What Paul has to say
 
(I don't think he considers himself a dragon-man) , and he has written other books - 'A Can of Worms' which is a crime novel,  and 'Trouble in Toyland''  for children.

Paul Trembling, pictured opposite:

I have a theory about talent.  It goes like this:

The things that we’re naturally good at, we will probably enjoy doing.  The things we enjoy doing, we do more of (or as much as life gives us the opportunity!).  The things we do more of, we get better at.  So natural talent is reinforced by practice which is driven by the pleasure we take in exercising our talent.

You can see this happening in many areas.  Sport, music, DIY, hobbies of all sorts and (for the lucky ones) sometimes in work as well.  And in writing.

If my theory is correct, then I should be a pretty good writer by now, because I’ve been practicing it all my life!

Actually, I often prefer to think of myself as a storyteller, rather than a writer, because I began telling stories even before I could write – or read, for that matter!  Some of my earliest memories are of lying awake at night, making up stories and telling them to myself.

I’ve never stopped telling them.  To be honest, I’ve never really tried – its just too much fun!   But I doubt if I could break the habit now even if I wanted to.

Eventually, of course, I did learn to read and write.  My reading influenced my story making, and my story making became writing.  Eventually (and it was a long process) the writing became sketches and short stories and novels.

But does the theory work in my case?  After a lifetime of practice, am I any good as a writer?

Ultimately, that’s not for me to say.  Those who read my stories will have to decide for themselves.  But I have had some considerable encouragement from people who have read them, and liked them, and have been good enough to tell me so!  And – although of course, there’s always more to learn, always improvement to be made – I quite like the stories myself!

(But then, I always did, even when I was the only one I told them to!)

If you’d like to make your own mind up, I’ve got a few to choose from.

My crime novel, ‘Can of Worms’ is available on Amazon (for Kindle) or as a paperback from Lulu.com.  It has its own FaceBook page, where you can read an excerpt for free.  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Can-of-Worms/289132197861985

Or if you enjoy fantasy, try my ‘Dragon Slayer’ series.  A linked series of short stories that follow the adventures of Rimsey Stolworth, the only female Dragon Slayer and probably the best one ever. 




Books 1-3 are available on Amazon (Kindle only at present, I’m afraid), Book 4 should be online before Christmas.



My next publication, however, will be a new venture for me – a children’s fantasy.  ‘Trouble in Toyland’ was originally written for my youngest son, Andy.  He seemed to like it – so (with a few changes) I’m going to offer it to a wider audience.  It should be out on Kindle in the next few weeks.  In order to keep it separate from my other writing, I’m putting it under the pen name ‘Henry Leyland’










Another project nearing completion is a fantasy novelette, which I’m also hoping to publish before Christmas, and a fantasy / romance novel (The Empress’s Lover) which could be available in the new year.

At the moment I’m working on some crime short stories, prequels to ‘Can of Worms’.

If you want to keep up to date with my writing, visit my FaceBook page, ‘Paul Trembling – Writing’.  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paul-Trembling-Writing/163519717084014?fref=ts

And please take a look at my website, Yearning Blue, to find out more about me and to read some free stuff!  Short stories, poems, projects, etc.  http://yearningblue.weebly.com/

I hope you enjoy it.  If you do – let me know!  If you don’t, let me know why not!  All writers need encouragement, and feedback.  Encouragement helps us to keep writing.  Feedback keeps us in touch with reality!

Thanks for reading, and especially, thanks to Marj for hosting me on her blog.

Paul Trembling



 







 

1 comment:

  1. I have to make one small correction - the pen name I'm going to use for 'Trouble in Toyland' will be 'Henry Linden' as on the cover, not 'Henry Leyland', as I wrote in the text. My mistake, not Marj's! (It's my under-used middle name and a street where we used to live, if you were wondering!).

    ReplyDelete